Feedback and Complaints
When Cocoon Group Services (Cocoon) and an individual or organisation disagree over a course of action and, after negotiation, a solution is not reached, this policy provides a mechanism for attempting to reach a fair and equitable resolution.
This Policy is for complaints about Cocoon by:
- Support persons
- Organizations or agencies that deal with Cocoon.
The procedure is based on conciliation rather than confrontation, achieved through a process of mediation. The rights of all parties are respected, including the rights of privacy and confidentiality.
All complaints must be:
- Undertaken in a fair and positive manner with confidentiality maintained throughout the process.
- Approached in a positive way, with the aim of resolving the complaint in an appropriate manner.
In all cases:
1. The State Manager or Business Development Manager is to give all new Participants a copy of the Cocoon’s Complaints Policy and Complaints Record Form which specifies the right to make a complaint and the process involved as part of the on-boarding process.
2. If a Participant and their support person or representative acting on their behalf wish to lodge a complaint, the Compliance Manager is to give the person a copy of this policy and explain the details.
3. If an organization that deals with Cocoon wish to make a complaint, the State Manager will give the organization a copy of this policy.
4. Complaints may be made verbally to the Executive Chairman, State Manager, Compliance Manager, Business Development Manager, or House Manager or in writing addressed to the above mentioned.
5. If the complaint relates to administration, the complainant can complain to the House Manager, Compliance Manager, State Manager, Business Development Manager, or Executive Chairman. If the complainant would rather the complaint not be addressed to the Executive Chairman in the first instance, the complaints may be made in writing directly to the State Manager. In this case, the procedure will begin at Stage 11 below.
6. All written complaints will be acknowledged in writing within 48 hours of receipt by Cocoon.
7. Where appropriate, the State Manager, Compliance Manager, Business Development Manager, or House Manager should investigate the claims made by the complainant and the circumstances and events surrounding the complaint. This may involve interviewing witnesses and other relevant persons. The State Manager, Compliance Manager, Business Development Manager, or House Manager must clarify with the complainant what outcomes they are seeking by making the complaint.
8. State Manager, Compliance Manager, Business Development Manager, or House Manager are to listen to the complaint and investigate the circumstances and events leading up to the complaint.
9. The State Manager, Compliance Manager, Business Development Manager, and House Manager will attempt to resolve the complaint by a discussion with the complainant and where relevant, their support person or representative. Where appropriate the parties may agree to participate in mediation.
10. Where discussions or mediation have been unsuccessful in resolving the complaint, the State Manager and/or Compliance Manager will consult Employsure and/or NDIS for assistance before deciding about the complaint and will inform the complainant about that determination.
11. If the complainant is dissatisfied with the outcome, the State Manager or Compliance Manager will inform the complainant in writing that they make a further complaint in writing to the Executive Chairman.
12. The Executive Chairman will take appropriate steps to resolve the complaint.
13. The Executive Chairman will consult with Employsure and/or NDIS for assistance before deciding about the complaint and will inform the complainant about the decision.
14. Wherever possible a complaint will be resolved within 21 calendar days.
15. All complaints will be entered on the complaints register maintained by Cocoon and copies of all documentation relative to the complaint will be kept in a complaints file.
16. Where a complaint is made by a participant, Cocoon will keep a copy of all documentation relative to the complaint in the Participant’s file.
17. All complaints and action taken are to be recorded in the Quality Improvement Register. The Compliance Manager or representative instigates corrective action and will ensure that any corrective action is taken and recorded.
18. The State Manager and Compliance Manager will ensure that any outcomes resulting from complaints, such as policy or procedural changes, are processed in a timely manner.
19. If a Participant is not satisfied with the course of action, they can contact an advocacy organization or a public advocate. Cocoon provides this information containing contact details of these agencies in the Advocacy Policy and Act as an Advocate Form.